Ryan Lochte rushed by protesters at “Dancing with the Stars” premiere

Ryan+Lochte+rushed+by+protesters+at+%22Dancing+with+the+Stars%22+premiere

Chloe Ruffennach, Staff writer

Ryan Lochte was rushed by protestors after his performance on the hit ABC dance contest, “Dancing with the Stars”.

The U.S. Olympic swimmer made headlines for lying about a robbery in Rio to cover up for his defacement of property at a gas station. Since then, Lochte has received outraged responses for his dishonesty. In fact, this was the primary reason that protestors rushed onto the stage after the swimmer’s first dance on the show’s premiere.

Two men ran onto the ballroom floor yelling anti-Lochte chants while four other people remained in the audience. Both parties were dressed in anti-Lochte tee shirts as well. The two who trespassed onto the stage were quickly tackled by security guards and the group of four was promptly escorted out as well.

A spokesperson for the LAPD told CNN, “They were arrested on trespassing, this was a private person’s arrest as the security at the venue made the arrest. We just accepted [them] and booked them.”

According to Sourcefed.com, the judge’s reactions were broadcast before the show promptly cut to commercial break. Judge Carrie Ann Inaba could be seen yelling, “Excuse me! Off! Off!” as the incident went down before it was cut off.

The actual incident was not televised on the show but was later surfaced on the internet after a member of the audience, Brandon Wall, tweeted the footage on his Twitter, @Walldo.

Host Tom Bergeron explained what happened to confused audiences when the show resumed by saying, “We had to go to break because we had a little incident,” though the specifics were not exclusively stated.

A spokesperson for BBC, the company that produces “Dancing with the Stars”, told CNN, “Two individuals stormed the dance floor tonight and were immediately subdued and escorted out of the building.”

During the show, Lochte was interviewed and told viewers, “So many feelings are going through my head right now. I’m a little hurt.”

Witney Carson, a professional dancer on the show, also commented on the incident when she told the press, “I think it was just saddening and disheartening more than anything because this is such a positive show and we’re all about putting people in a positive light. For somebody to want to ruin that for Ryan is just really, really hard.”

Later, the Olympic medal winner added onto this by telling CNN, “You know, at that moment, I was really heartbroken. My heart just sunk. It felt like somebody just ripped it apart.” Lochte added that he “had to brush it off.”

“Dancing with the Stars” airs a new episode every Monday night on ABC.

 

(Photo provided by usmagazine.com)